- Mayor's Court
- Record Sealing
VILLAGE OF BRATENAHL, OHIO
RECORD SEALING PROCESS
The Village of Bratenahl Mayor’s Court Clerk’s Office is responsible for accurate and timely record keeping. The proper filing, processing and maintaining of Record Sealing applications, and subsequent sealing of court records, is one of many tasks within the Clerk’s Criminal/Traffic Divisions. Although professional public service is offered to assist you in filing for a record to be sealed, the Clerk’s office, as the custodian of records, cannot give legal advice. Our goal is to help you through the process in an impartial way of delivering excellent service while complying with State Legal requirements.
To qualify for a Record to be sealed you must be an “Eligible Offender” as defined in Section 2953.31 of the Ohio Revised Code.
TRAFFIC CHARGES ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO BE SEALED.
In some circumstances, the Prosecutor may file an objection, usually on public indecency and domestic violence charges.
There is a $50.00 non-refundable filing fee. Payment may be made by cash, money order, MasterCard or Visa. Payment is to be made in full when the application and your letter of explanation are submitted to the Clerk’s Office.
You must submit in writing a Motion for Record Sealing and an explanation as to why you feel this conviction should be sealed. If you are indigent, you must contact the Clerk of Courts to file an Affidavit of Indigence.
In making the determination whether to seal records, all of the following apply:
- The court may cause an investigation to be made to determine if the person who is the subject of the proceedings has been rehabilitated to a satisfactory degree. The following will be considered:
1. The age of person.
2. The nature of the case.
3. The cessation or continuation of delinquent, unruly, or criminal behavior.
4. The education and employment history of the person.
5. Any other circumstances that may relate to the rehabilitation of the person
who is the subject of the records under consideration.
- The court may require a person filing for a record to be sealed to submit any relevant documentation.
- The court shall promptly notify the prosecuting attorney of any proceedings to seal records.
THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES FOR YOUR RECORD TO BE SEALED.
YOUR FILING FEE IS NON-REFUNDABLE.